Saturday, February 2, 2013

An unexpected break from the usual

Since it's Saturday it meant watching a youth basketball game this morning with my eye on my young grandson. The teams were evenly matched today and the one I was rooting for won the game 30 to 23. My grandson missed shooting three baskets by a hair.

After the game I decided to drive through town and stop at Mc Donald's, something I haven't done in ages. For some reason I had a craving for an egg mc muffin. It had been so long since I had eaten one I had almost forgotten how tasty they can be.

After arriving home and closing the front gate I let my puppy, Ejay, out for some air and a potty break. I soon discovered that he had escaped for the third time this week. I wasn't really worried, but it was exasperating after taking the time to tie the gate shut so he wouldn't squeeze through it. Even though I live a little outside of town I don't want him running loose. He could get run over or picked up by the humane society and end up right back where I rescued him from in early December.

I don't believe he is trying to run away from home. He just wants to explore the neighborhood. Someone suggested I should put him on a leash and take him for a walk. I may consider that after he gets out of the dog house! As I was checking things out I noticed my grandson, who lives a couple of houses away, leading my errant puppy home by a leash belonging to his dog, Lilly. Ejay has been grounded all day! I still do not know how he is getting out.

After Colin cleaned his room at home he spent the remainder of the day at my house. First there came his favorite lunch of chicken noodle soup. After lunch we took the time to visit with some of the residents at our local nursing home. He was the center of attention as soon as we walked into the activity room. He is such a cool guy he just allowed himself to be shared with all interested parties. He proudly told all about his interests in sports and didn't forget to relay that he excels in soccer and runs faster than anybody else. He showed off a recent scar from a malfunctioning Bebe gun, helped a lady with a puzzle, checked out the computer pictures a man was showing off of a family baby and generally had a ball just being Colin. When we left he had made a haul of 2 pieces of bubble gum, a piece of candy, a  red crocheted egg,  a key chain that said "I am the coolest kid here" and an ice cream bar.

Later he watched a dog show on TV, played with Ejay, played some games on my computer finishing off the day and suddenly it was dinner time. After a call home to ask permission we picked up a pepperoni pizza and for a little guy I was amazed at how many pieces he scarfed down, plus a cherry coke, which he never gets at my house. I just took him home as it is now dark out there and I didn't want him walking home alone.

So today has been an unexpected break from the usual way I spend a day. It was nice to have the company of one of the most important souls in my world.








No comments:

Post a Comment