Friday, January 21, 2011

A Perfect Match

A male friend of mine seems to believe that there is no such thing as a “soulmate” and I disagree with him. I truly believe that even though we all come from the same source and have unique gifts to share, there are souls that match more perfectly than others. I believe part of the cause of our difference of opinion is that my choice of the word “perfect” was misinterpreted by my friend.

He pointed out that he and his wife are not a perfect match; each having their own likes and dislikes, but because they have put in the work they have a perfect relationship. He went on to say, “We give ALL our love to each other.”

I have some problems with what he said. Last things first- our love is not meant to be given to just one person, not even when that person is our self. Love is meant to be shared with as many souls as possible. The more it is shared the more it grows.

Now to address the words perfect match or the man made word soulmate. A relationship of this kind does not mean that the two souls have everything in common. Far from it! It means, to me at least, that the souls are so perfectly balanced with each other that the very presence of one in the other’s life inspires evolvement. Often the differences are exactly what both need to grow.

A gift of this magnitude should be met with extreme gratitude for it is rare. It doesn’t require work. It flows naturally and only requires conscious awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of both souls. I recently found a quote that sums up how I feel about the word soulmate. “Even the closest of souls require a breath of heaven between them.”

I am ending this post by giving my friend credit for a quote he offered: “All you need to do is look for someone who has love and respect for them self. That is how they will treat you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment