Thursday, January 6, 2011

Green- My Favorite Color

Today is the official start of something big for the "little writers" of Grants, NM. I was given the green light to move ahead with my plan to organize a creative writing group for kids. Waiting for Big Brothers Big Sisters to complete my background check has gone into month four. Enough already! I am not a criminal, never have been and never plan to be one!!

This morning I stopped by the school administration office and asked for a copy of the background check I had passed in 2008. It was done when I volunteered for the Foster Grandparent Program in our school district. The old phrase, "where there is a will there is a way" came to mind. My next stop was to deliver the precious document to the director of our family center, who happily asked, "When do you want to get started?" I said,"Just as soon as I have things organized".

Most public school teachers I have had the pleasure of knowing are very hard working, but they can't spend a lot of time on creative writing. Their priority is curriculum that has to be taught in a limited number of hours. A contributing problem is class size.

I know from personal experience how important putting thoughts on paper is to developing self-esteem and encouraging imagination and pride of personal accomplishment. I wish there had been a group like this when I was in elementary school. Well there wasn't, but I have been given the tools and the green light to change that for some of today's young minds.

I have begun researching creative writing for kids. In addition I am asking my readers to share personal experience tips, resource information such as websites and books on how to make this project fun and exciting for the participants (both students and facilitator). My personal email is begunn37@q.com

Thanks in advance and have a great green day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment