Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dream Job

I found an absolutely fascinating blog this morning, www.vivainmaier.blogspot.com, sharing the work of a woman who spent her free time from 1950 to the 1960s as a “street photographer” in Chicago. She took magnificent black and white photographs of ordinary people. She was born in France and learned English from watching American movies. Ms. Maier died in 2009. Her work of over 100,000 photos was recently discovered when her belongings were purchased at an auction.

My reaction after viewing some of her photos was what a wonderful way to live. It reminded me of a dream I once had, since put on a back burner, of traveling around the country writing stories about the people I met on my journey. It is an expanded version of the over 50 stories I wrote as a human interest columnist. I had the unique ability of interviewing someone, finding their essence and sharing it on a single page of text.

It was probably the most fulfilling job I have ever had, but it had to end. I had more learning to do myself before I could continue. I remember thinking back then that if I had the money I would invest it in people, not things. In addition I had to get past the ridiculous idea that it was my job to fix other people and their problems. It was no doubt left over from my previous life as an overprotective mother. I also had to learn to observe without judgment and record the information without adding my personal experiences to their life.

I have run across many people who have a desire to write about their life in memoir form, allowing those they leave behind to know who they were according to them. I also believe, if given the opportunity, most people would write their own obituary. No one knows you better than yourself. I keep mine up to date, just for that reason and I will be watching to see what happens when I leave here!

Apparently, my dream is still alive and I thank you Ms. Maier, wherever you are, for reminding me. The only thing holding it up is that little/big word- money!

No comments:

Post a Comment