Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I survived!

Whew! I survived my first day of my new writing group for kids. Actually it was only an hour! It is a good thing that I usually over plan. I think that might be left over from my days as a Cub Scout den mother many moons ago.

Although I had almost twice the number of students as I had anticipated and they ranged from 1st to 6th grade, things went pretty well. They seemed to be having fun and when asked if there was anyone who really didn't want to be there, not one hand went up. Next week I will at least know who is in the group.

Possibly all my experience in Scouts, as a leader in Masonic organizations, as a school room mother and in the Foster Grandparent Program were necessary after all. I believe the biggest thing I have learned from all that volunteering is to guide and allow others to express themselves their way. All I really have to do is plant the seeds and let them grow.

If I had paid more attention to my grandmother when I was growing up I may not have had to deal with so many experiences with this subject. More than anyone else she always encouraged me and never did anything for me that I could do for myself.

When looking for a bag to carry the things I needed for the writing group, I choose a leather tote that my grandmother had made and given to me when I was a teenager. Noticing what I had done made me smile and I felt her approving energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment