Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Conscious Motive

What a great day it has been so far and it's only a little after 11:00AM! It started out pretty normal, with an exercise hour at Futures (Future Foundations Family Center). This morning I was the only human in the gym as I walked. It gave my conscious mind some quite time to consult with my sub-conscious mind. I began thinking about my motive for offering a writing class/group to the kids at Futures. Wow! An interesting insight came through, followed by a wave of positive energy.

After leaving the gym I stopped by the elementary school down the street. It educates most of the kids from 8:00AM to 3:00PM who walk to Futures after school. I intended to talk to the principal about the new program, Heart to Heart Mentoring, that is being developed for the kids. I explained that the purpose was to connect adults having skills they are passionate about with children. His ears perked up and he is 100% behind our idea.

As I told him about my part in Heart to Heart Mentoring (my writing class) I felt I was communicating with someone who knew from personal experience exactly what I was talking about.

I told him that my main motive was to encourage self-esteem. I went on to state, "There are many students who simply fall through the cracks. They aren't trouble makers and maybe do not excel as the brightest student in their class. The teacher just doesn't notice them."

Surprising myself, I went on to share that I was one of those kids. I graduated from high school as a name on the school records. There probably weren't more than a half dozen students that even knew I was there. That's my motive in a nut shell! It took me 60+ years to realize that I am a whole lot smarter than I realized I was. Nobody ever encouraged that simple powerful thought.

I have been given the tools to encourage self-esteem in not one, but many children in my town, before they get into the bad habit of thinking they don't really matter. I am very excited to get started, especially since I now consciously know my motive.

Just for fun I am sharing the PR poster I created introducing my group and thank you Mr.O for sharing it with your teachers!

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,

    This is so beautiful and wonderful!
    What a heartfelt class to be teaching as you bring young children to their light with the gifts they bestow.

    You are the perfect person for this!

    I am just so excited for your new venture in your writing class.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete