Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eat Your Veggies!

As many of you know I love to cook. One of the things I like to make most during the winter months is soup. A big batch can be divided into several containers, frozen and quickly thawed for future meals. To me soup is one of the most creative things a cook can whip up. It also uses up bits and pieces of goodies such as vegetables. You do remember being told to eat your veggies right?

Today I am sharing a couple of recipes to do just that. The first one is Roasted Vegetable Soup and came from my friend, Jan. Along with being delicious and quick to make I like it because it's one of those recipes that really isn't a recipe. It leaves much room for creativity.

The second, Roasted Cauliflower Soup I found online and is very good. Because I didn't like the white color the first time I made it I used broccoliflower this time. I also sprinkled in some dried parsley flakes in the last step to give it a little more character.

Roasted Vegetable Soup

Cut up any vegetables you happen to have in your kitchen such as: a carrot, green, yellow or red peppers, an onion, a tomato, mushrooms, squash or pumpkin.(I cut them in bite sized pieces). Toss the veggies with a little olive oil and bake in hot oven 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to 1 pint vegetable stock and salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes.

The amount of vegetables and stock can be adjusted depending upon the quantity needed. I used 4- 14.5 oz cans of vegetable broth and added a little lemon pepper and thyme.

Broccoliflower Soup

1 large head broccoliflower or cauliflower cut into florets
1 large onion sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
2- 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1 cup water
2 Tbl olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 cup half and half
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried parsley flakes opt.

In large roasting pan toss vegetables with olive and roast for 30 minutes in 400 degree oven, stirring halfway through.

In large saucepan combine roasted veggies, chicken broth, 1 cup water, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Discard bay leaf. In blender or food processor puree soup in batches, return to saucepan. Add half and half, salt and pepper and parsley flakes. Cook over medium heat until heated through.

Eat your veggies now so you can grow big and strong and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment