Monday, January 21, 2013

Three little words...

This morning I would like to address the subject of the three little words I love you.

The phrase contains two side words protecting the most powerful word in any language. It is also one of the most overused and underused by people everywhere. It is sometimes trashed in books and movies that give it new meaning. It is overused on Facebook by combining  two keys forming a heart. Teenagers too young to know the difference between love and lust erroneously use the words. They don't yet understand that true love comes from the heart.

Some people have trouble expressing those simple words even though they may feel them deep inside. I believe this has to do with not trusting and is a subject I know a lot about from personal experience. Growing up in a family that does not freely express feelings of love through words or even hugs creates an adult who has a serious hangup. If the person is really lucky he/she will find someone who will teach them by example that it is safe to say I love you when they really mean it.

Letting those words out feels like popping the top of a bottle of champagne that has been sealed tightly for eons. Once the contents start flowing they are impossible to stop. The love just keeps growing and growing until everyone in the vicinity has taken a taste and passed it on.

The most touching example of not being able to say those three little words can be found in the song, "Do You Really Love Me?" from Fiddler on the Roof.  I can hear the tears in Tevye's heart as he begs his wife Golde of 25 years to answer this question. At the end of the song they both quietly sing the words I love you to each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Y3180ZXRE

I have done my very best to express what is in my heart about the three little words I love you the rest is up to you.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment