Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Surviving in this economy

Change of pace/subject.
Every now and then I enjoy posting my contribution to my writing group's current challenge. I hope that one day someone will tell me that they started a group of their own. It doesn't take much, just a handful of people who have a common interest in writing and a place to meet. I know for certain that writing is a very beneficial tool to keeping the mind working, especially for older adults who don't have anyone to listen to them. Therefore; this weeks challenge is Surviving in this economy and the following is my effort.

It is difficult to write about something that is pretty much foreign to me. I feel as if I am thriving not surviving. I'm wondering just how my life got to this point. It is a bit pecuuliar, considering my only income is Social Security.

Just a few years ago I was fussing and fuming because I couldn't find a part time job to help with bills. I blamed everyone, but mostly myself because I chose to be a stay at home mom and did not get a formal education beyond high school. I didn't really stop learning I just didn't continue a formal education. I still remember my mother's words, "You don't need college unless you want a career." Well, I didn't at the time. A little push in the right direction would have been helpful mother.

I suppose as a result of childhood experiences I have never lived beyond my means. That philosophy got pulled in a slightly different direction during my two marriages of 40 years duration. For the last 13 plus years I have been able to gradually go back to my core beliefs. If I don't have the money for something I don't need it. I never run up charge accounts that I won't be able to repay in a reasonable length of time. I paid cash for my car and the furnace I had to replace last year, not wanting to add finance charges to the total. Those decisions seriously depleted my savings, but they are paid for.

I check out food ads for sales and take advantage of having a freezer. Since I love to cook I am just as happy eating in rather than eating out, except when I'm in the mood for something I don't fix at home, like Chinese cuisine. I have recently begun tossing most of the catalogs like Blair and Haband before they even enter my house. Clutter drives me nuts.

There are those who might think these measures spell poor, but there really isn't anything that I do without. Oh sure it would be nice to take a vacation, but I can go anywhere in the world through my Facebook friends and google without spending a penny.

I enjoy making a game of seeing how much money I can save before my next Social Security check is deposited. My bills always get paid first, of course. Actually, I have more money in my bank account now than at any time during the last year so I must be doing something right. Focusing on thriving instead of surviving makes a huge difference in attitude.


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Barbara... I totally agree with you - changing the focus changes everything. Although I've struggled with the feeling of only being able to survive over the past few years, I know that I'm blessed beyond measure because of the friends I have (online and off). My encouragement and inspiration comes from the people I know and you are one of those people. I'm doubly blessed to have met you online AND off! Thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois that is so sweet. I am happy we are friends too. You will never know how grateful I was for you to stop by the hospital on your way through town, when my own daughter couldn't be bothered. I'm sure we'll meet in "real life" again before long.

      Delete