Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Facebook #1 on my gratitude list today

It is not unusual for me to go over a gratitude list when I first wake up in the morning. There is a lot in my life to be grateful for just now. This morning my first thought was how truly grateful I am for a computer and more especially for the social network Facebook offers.

It makes me laugh when I think back to the fact that my mother thought the invention of the calculator was the ruination of the minds of children. Everyone needs a little help from time to time to move out of the dark ages and find their purpose. The changes in electronics just in the last 10 years are mind boggling and it is not necessary for everyone to keep up. My young grandson knows a whole lot more about the trac phone I bought him a couple of years ago than I will ever know about mine. That's okay, he's going to be here for a long time after I am watching him from another realm.

It makes me sad when I look at friends in my age group who refuse to go near a computer. Then there are the ones who may have one, but only use it to play card games etc. The ones who have taken a step further and have email, but only use it to communicate with family/friends really blow my mind. If they only knew what I know there remaining years on earth could be so much more fulfilling.

Connecting with Facebook years ago opened up my world in a way that nothing else could have. I literally have friends all over the world whom I have as close a relationship to as any friend living in little old Grants, NM. They give me advice when I ask for it or they see that I am having difficulty solving a problem. They remember my birthday. They allow me to travel to places and see things I would never have had the opportunity to experience. Their friendship makes me feel welcome in their homes. They introduce me to their children, grandchildren and even pets. They offer me opportunities for spiritual growth that would otherwise be impossible to achieve.

Besides what Facebook offers me it also gives me a platform/stage to express my own ideas about any subject that I chose to discuss. Generally speaking there is a great deal of respect for each others views. Occasionally there are ruffled feathers, but they can almost always be smoothed out with a little caring.

When I was a child, long long ago, I could never have imagined that I would  someday be communicating with people in other countries, using a picture thingy and a keyboard. If I had known then what I know now I would have paid a whole lot more attention in that typing class I took back in high school.

I'm going to finish up here because I see I have several Facebook messages to attend to before I stop to have lunch.

March on Facebook and all your present/future electronic cousins. You sure changed my life and today you are #1 on my gratitude list.

No comments:

Post a Comment