Thursday, January 17, 2013

My fair lady and the professor

I woke up this morning thinking of the wonderful musical My Fair Lady. I saw it on stage at Popejoy Hall in Albuquerque in 1999 and loved it. Singing is not a personal talent, but musicals have always been among my favorite things. Growing up, I probably saw every one that came to our local theater. Besides the music what I like most are the life lessons presented via the scripts. They are visual books offered for viewers to learn from or not.

The reason this particular musical comes to mind just now is that it closely resembles a current life situation that I am experiencing with a longtime friend. We could have starred in the original except that neither of us have an English/Cockney accent and there is the age issue.

In case you are not familiar with the main characters allow me to give you a brief bio. Of course, this is only my take on them. I'm not a movie critic, simply an observer with a highly motivated purpose.

First, we have the professor. What a special man he is. Being overly educated in the proper way to express oneself, he takes it upon himself to re-educate a simple girl who leads with her heart. She has not had the benefit of his, no doubt, formal and expensive education.

The professor, who leads with his brain, thinks he is trying to help. In my opinion he is a bit of a stuffed shirt and his approach to re-education is more than a little bit rude. The girl tries her best to please him because he has convinced her that she is flawed and needs improvement. Feeling she has failed she goes back to her core beliefs.

I really have to add here that I think the professor is a bit of a jerk to not see her god given value. She sees his. It hardly seems fair that he is so blind. Oh well, I didn't write the script.

In my opinion these two characters have similar problems, each with its own personal twist. They both have a serious malfunction between the heart and the brain. Neither of them is flawed, just a little out of sinc.

I'm sure you know the end of this little drama. A brief walk in the other person's shoes repaired that problem. Adding a spoon full of sugar helped too.  As in all great stories love won and they lived happier ever after.

Now back to real life....

2 comments:

  1. You were spot on!!! I do love this piece. Life is sure full of twist and turns with surpirse endings.

    You just have to be careful what you wish for, in the end you just might get it..ready or not!!! giggle!

    ReplyDelete