Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Here's looking at you

For a long time I have heard the observation that the people who are the closest in our lives such as our friends reflect who we are. We attract what we are putting out. I really really knew this honest I did, but as the result of a simple exercise I performed last night  now I really know it.

I thought of the person who presently occupies the top spot in my life and began listing the qualities that attract him to me. The list amazed me and I finally had a better understanding of both the person in the mirror and the reflection. Although we each walk our own path, the entities could be twins, the qualities are so entwined with each other.

So you may have a better view of what I saw, the qualities as they came to me were:

unique sense of humor and expression of thoughts
intelligence
purpose/desire to help
ability to inspire and encourage others to grow
honesty/strength of character

The next three qualities were recently improved upon:

accepting of others beliefs
open to new possibilities
inner wisdom

What I found most surprising was that those last three qualities reflect the three points of the famous Serenity Prayer written by theologian, Reinhold Neibuhr in 1943. It has been used by Alcoholics Anonymous for years.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

After digesting this information you might imagine my reaction as I realized what it was telling me. The next step is to take what I found and use it to benefit humanity, which I intend to do immediately in every way possible.

If you want to get a better look at yourself you might want to try this very simple exercise. For a little extra excitement you could also list the things you don't like about the person. I'm saving that one for another day though.





No comments:

Post a Comment