Friday, January 25, 2013

A field trip with purpose

Today I am going to do something just a little bit different. I'm picking up a lovely lady from our local nursing home and we are going to lunch. This particular lady has the unusual name of Marvine and we have recently begun to bond as friends. She is one of the core participants in the communication group, Write On People, is sponsoring.

I had my eye on her right from the start, but because another member, a man who seemed to be the leader of the pack, I was temporarily distracted. Marvine is a semi-quiet person who happily spends her days crocheting and is very creative. She is also an observer of people, very smart and funny. She reminds me of myself when my "conscious" awakening journey began back in 1999. I see a beautiful spirit gradually emerging from her cocoon, with no idea just how powerful she really is. Something about this situation is pushing me to find out more.

I had stopped by to chat with her a few days ago and asked if she would like to go to lunch sometime soon. I don't think she hesitated for a minute before our plans were secured. She chose a long standing restaurant that serves Mexican food. I could tell she was thrilled to be free of the place, if even for a little while.

 I don't know what the heck she is doing in a nursing home facility in the first place. she has a wonderful sense of humor and her mind is as sharp as mine is. I really like Marvine and plan to do everything I can to help her come out of her shell and learn to appreciate herself.

Beside lunch I plan to bring along some pictures I have taken of places like the sand bluffs and Mt. Taylor to share with her. She hasn't lived in Grants very long and can't see much from behind closed doors. If the weather is good I also plan to take her to the Riverwalk to visit with the ducks and geese that live there. I just might take along some bread crumbs to add a little fun.

I have a really strong feeling that by the end of our little field trip we will both be just a little happier.

P.S. This post script is being written after the fact to share the lunch experience and also to add a photo of the lovely Marvine, who gave me permission to publish both the story, which she loved as well as the photo. Thanks Marvine you are a doll!

Our lunch went better than expected with some added activities not previously planned. During lunch we found that we had a lot more in common than we knew. We had shared pictures we had brought and talked for about an hour. After visiting with the ducks, geese and pigeons at the Riverwalk, which she had never been to, we wondered over to a couple of stores that sell goods made by local artists.

The last place we stopped was a gold mine and apparently exactly where we were supposed to be. I know the owners and introduced  Marvine, as a friend and a resident of Good Sam. One thing led to another and she left with a free gift from the owner and instructions to talk to the administrator about arranging a field trip for the residents. Bob was happy, Marvine was happy and I was the happiest of all when I saw the big picture! My work is done for today except for posting my new friend's photo.
Author's note: The contents of this post was written with the knowledge and full approval of Marvine B. and negative comments by anyone will immediately be deleted.  

5 comments:

  1. Awww … this is super lovely!!! My heart is smiling, I want to dance, and sing at all the positive energy created through what started out as the touch of two and kept playing forward including more and more touches along the way. You extended yourself out to create a gesture of love. You are awesome!!! Loved this piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The touch of two??? Haven't a clue what you mean!

      Just kidding- Think it's from hanging around with a VERY close friend!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love knows no bounds and you hve shown that here. When people connect through love and respect, magic happens. Thank you for posting this. Much love and many Blessings.

    ReplyDelete