Sunday, March 17, 2013

Quest for perfection

My inspiration is coming from everywhere these days. This post was inspired by a quote from Ralph Ellison: "The act of writing requires a constant plunging back into the shadow of the past where time hovers ghostlike." Any good writer knows the truth of these words. The quest for perfection is always present.

I'm sure many of my readers have noticed that between posts I often go back and forth with the ideas I express. If you look really close it is not unheard of for me to make changes even after a post is published. That's the really nice thing about being a blogger. It gives the writer the option of rethinking when new information presents itself. The same is not true of writing a book or being a columnist. The writer can edit up to the minute the material is published, but then it is too late. Having experience with all three mediums I much prefer blogging. Besides I am my own editor!

In my earlier years I was always seeking perfection in everything I did. In my later years I have backed off quite a lot from that view. I now know that nothing is perfect. Searching for perfection is a total waste of time and energy. I am also smart enough to realize that if something is not making me happy there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I still have a terrible habit of holding off a little longer than necessary before tackling the issue, especially when it involves the way someone is treating me. That is probably a holdover from my former life of allowing others to walk all over me. I think it's part of my DNA to keep hoping the other person will change, even when my brain says that is never going to happen. The only person I can change is me.

I am learning that when any situation is causing me constant pain it is time to pull the plug. It doesn't matter if it involves a thing or a person. Life is just too short to put up with negative energy from any source.

Although I am easing off of my quest for perfection as I get older, I still try to put my best foot forward, especially as a writer.




No comments:

Post a Comment