Monday, April 12, 2010

WOMEN CAN BE DIRECTORS TOO

As I entered “Futures” gym this morning I began walking on rose petals, looking up I couldn’t believe my eyes. The floor was a total disaster. I asked Laura, the director, what happened. Over the weekend “Futures” had hosted an after the prom party. That is a very good thing because it is alcohol free and meant to provide a safe place for our teenagers to let off a little more steam.

I was told I could go ahead and walk, but to be careful. I did just that. As I walked this morning I observed Laura and three others set to work to clean up the remains. I was amazed at how fast and efficiently the paraphernalia, taped down tarps and the debris, including the rose petals were removed and stored in their proper place.

It would have been nice to have video taped the team work involved to accomplish this enormous task. I thought what wonderful things could be accomplished if everyone in our little town worked as a team instead of focusing on their own lives. Grants, NM is an old town with old ideas and does not easily welcome new ones. Our elected officials have been in office way too long and this fact is partially responsible for its current stale condition.

Laura Malaj(Jaramillo), the director of Future Foundations Family Center, is also a woman with a mission to wake up this town and rid it of the debris that is holding it back. She is running for a County Commission office in the current election and I plan to do everything I can to help her win. It isn’t going to be a walk on rose petals, but she is a determined lady.

P.S. She is also a really good friend. Go Laura go!!

1 comment:

  1. That was a very nice post about my mom! It's time we have a woman back in the commission and I think she's the right person for the job. I hope she wins!

    ReplyDelete