Monday, April 19, 2010

Friends are a Universal Gift

Growing up I had very few friends. Of course, I assumed there was something wrong with me. It had to be that I was not as smart, as attractive, as rich, as athletic, as talented or as who knows what else as my peers were. It never occurred to me until recently that the problem might be all in my mind.

When you do not believe in yourself how can you possibly expect anyone else to believe in you? I knew that and in fact wrote it somewhere in one of my published books. Simple words aren’t they? Today I wonder why it took me so long to accept them. Not believing in me led to collecting all sorts of garbage, attaching itself like an anchor, keeping me buried in muck most of my life.

Today I look in my mirror and see a very special soul looking back at me. What happened you ask? It was a combination of many things, books I have read, movies I have seen, conversations I have listened to, experiences both positive and negative and most of all the help of caring friends, some of whom probably did not even know that they had helped evolve my soul.

In 2003 Mitch Albom wrote a wonderful book, the Five People You Meet in Heaven. If you haven’t read it you missed a great opportunity to spruce up your belief about why you are here. The main plot suggests that during our earth journey there are five pivotal souls who enter our life and change it forever. These souls can be relatives, loved ones, friends or just the guy on the street where you live. In the book the souls were not revealed until the person was back in heaven.

Wondering who those souls might be in my life is a game. Right at this moment there are at least three different people who could easily fit the description of one whose assignment was to change my life forever. When you make new friends you just never know where that relationship will lead. It could last from a few minutes to many years and become the most important friendship you will ever have during this lifetime.

So now that I believe I am worthy to have friends I have more than I ever thought possible. My inspirational writing and the positive decisions I have made have connected me with friends from all over the world and I am grateful for every one. The greatest gifts the universe can give us are friends who care as much about our well being as we care about theirs. When a friendship is truly give and take it is worth more than a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

6 comments:

  1. I loved the book "The 5 people you meet in Heaven"! I thought it was such an original topic and take on what happens "after" all of this stuff in the world. I second that recomendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barbara, what a beautiful post. True friends are so important in the walk of life. I too loved that book, "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom, was also excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting Sarah and Cindy. I also enjoyed both books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albom's book has been lying idle on my dressing table for the last couple of years. It's high time I take it out and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I think we all need to remember to cherish and appreciate our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, I appreciate all of you!

    ReplyDelete