Friday, April 30, 2010

Little Boys Grow Up

Excerpt from my book Wake Up!

The Riverwalk is the best place I know to learn about life absolutely free. The sights and sounds coming from the park have helped inspire much of my recent creativity. I love to take quiet walks and try to see things from God’s point of view.

One day I had just finished feeding the birds breadcrumbs along the path and was approaching the bridge by the church. Suddenly a small boy of about four or five came running across the bridge. He seemed to be afraid. When he saw me he yelled out that he needed help. I stopped to see what I could do.

My first thought was that a child had fallen into the water. I began to worry as I do not know CPR. As the young boy got closer, I automatically knelt down and opened my arms. He pretty much fell into them. He was crying and as I wiped his tears away with my finger I asked what was wrong.

When he stopped crying he frantically told me some older children had been chasing him and had threatened to beat him up. I didn’t see anyone else near by and asked him if he was alone. He looked around and said his uncle was on the other side of the pond.

The boy stayed right where he was, sitting on my knee and snuggled in so close I could feel the warmth of his body. I wouldn’t have deserted him for a million dollars. This young child had paid me the highest compliment any adult could receive. He trusted me to help him.

When his uncle arrived he quietly picked him up. He looked back at me and simply said, “Thank you lady.”

I smiled and silently thanked God for giving me the opportunity to help teach this little boy to trust. Somewhere in his subconscious this memory will be stored for future reference. I know I will never forget the warmth I felt inside that day.

2 comments: