Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Richard Bach's Magic

My gift of words was inspired by author Richard Bach, whose ability to take his reading audience with him on magical spiritual journeys amazes and delights me. My first taste of his remarkable talent was Illusions, loaned to me by a friend who also had a hand in my spiritual evolvement.

As the little book was handed to me I was told it was about an auto mechanic who became a reluctant messiah. By the time I had finished reading it I had fallen in love with Bach’s writing style. I believe it was the spark that caused me to pursue a dream I didn’t even know I had. Of course I went on to read several of his other books including: Jonathan Livingston Seagull, One and my personal favorite Bridge Across Forever.

I think every writer was inspired by an author somewhere in their past. Maybe it was someone famous maybe not. Bach’s style influenced the writing style of my first published book Wake Up! My book can be read from any spot cover to cover and it will make sense to the reader. That’s quite an accomplishment for a first time author, especially since I was simply following my intuition. Back then I knew nothing about writing a book.

Another lesson I learned from Bach’s writing is always write from your heart. Write what you believe in and the world just might believe it too. Over the years I have gotten by with a lot, especially as a columnist for the Cibola County Beacon in Grants, NM. A sneaky writer can slip ideas in that others are reluctant to challenge. Sometimes it makes me laugh. I don’t ever lie, but I have been known to bend the rules just a little because it keeps people on their toes. Somebody has to do it!

So today I owe Richard Bach and his slightly off kilter mind a great big thank you. If it were not for him you just might be reading a completely blank page today!

No comments:

Post a Comment