Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Twins- a tale of love


Two of anything good usually gives us double pleasure. Remember the double mint twins? Sorry I couldn’t resist throwing that in. Twins are a special treat celebrating the imagination of the universe. I am fortunate to be the grandmother of twin girls who are now 23. When they were young it was at times difficult to tell one from the other. They were, as the saying goes, two peas in a pod.

As often happens with twins they were a bit premature, weighing in at 5 and 4 lbs. Elizabeth, the larger and first born of the set got to come home right away, but Elaine had to stay in the hospital until she gained weight. Right from the start they did not have the same bonding experience with their parents; and right from the start I believe I felt Elaine’s pain and automatically developed a close spiritual bond with her that I do not have with her sister.

I was not given the opportunity to watch the girls grow up. We have been separated by distance most of their lives, only occasionally touching base. During the last few months they both visited with me at different times and I had a chance to check them out as adults on the verge of the rest of their lives.

The girls are both college graduates and I am grateful to my son for making that happen. I can clearly see that their lives are taking totally different paths. Elizabeth is married to a Navy jet pilot, who is now stationed clear across the country from Elaine. They are expecting their first baby (a single birth) in September. Elaine has an important job helping senior citizens live a more productive life. She and her fiance will soon marry.

The fact that they began life in the same sac will always connect them in a very special way, but they are two different people. They each have their own gifts and talents and yes their own weaknesses too. Twins may look alike on the outside, but to strengthen their special bond they need time to grow on their own and develop the unique gift of life that they were created to live. I love you and I am very proud of both of you.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm glad to hear they are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcie.You three really need to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, Barbara, what adorable babies they were! So happy to hear you had time with each of them...time to share stories and get to know each other even more. They are so very lucky to have a "cool" grandma like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy. I had a "cool" grandmother and I'm just trying to pass on what I learned from her.

    ReplyDelete