Saturday, April 11, 2020

Easter services

I'm trying to remember the last time I attended an Easter service in a church. It has been years. At the time I was a practicing Catholic because I married one and decided it was my job. In 1999 the marriage at last ended and that was perhaps the year I also left the church. Well except for weddings and funerals.

What is really odd is that I am closer to my Creator now then I have ever been in my entire life. I got tired of trying to follow the rules set up by man. My relationship with God began when I was a teenager. I belonged to two Masonic youth organizations. Although they are not religious, as some people think, God is at the center of the organizations. Even though I was the presiding officer in both, my favorite office was always, chaplain. I loved it and felt I was talking to a real entity as I knelt behind the altar and recited the prayers, including the "Lords Prayer".

Many years later when I became a Catholic I found the rituals very uncomfortable and foreign. Now I believe it was because I really didn't need them. It was simply an experience for comparison.

2020 is going to be a wake up call for many who believe they need a building to communicate with their Creator. I plan to sit in front of my computer and listen to a podcast by my friend, Bob Luckin and his wife, Judith. I am really looking forward to hearing what they have to say. They are both down to earth people just trying to help others. They don't need robes, rituals or a special building. They just do what they are meant to do, give you something to think about.

I hope you all enjoy tomorrow in whatever way you choose to do so. Happy Easter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment