Thursday, February 27, 2020

Mirror mirror



I look in my mirror every morning and sometimes it seems to talk to me. Most of the time it says, “You really don’t look as old as you are”. That’s nice to hear, but I wonder if other people would agree. I have always been a bit out of step with my peers. I gave birth to my 3rd child when I was 42 and became a grandmother of twins at 48. If you’re trying to figure that one out, the father of the twins was my second son. He "accidentally" became a father at 19. In a couple of months my last grandchild will graduate from high school.

I didn’t begin writing until I was about 60 and divorced from my second husband, after 27 years of listening to his lies about his drinking.  Some of my relatives believe he was some kind of hero. I am not of the same opinion. It doesn't matter anymore as he is no longer living a human life.

Sometimes when I look in my mirror I see specks of my ancestors, which initiate a slew of past memories. They remind me of experiences that have been thrown at me, apparently testing my strength. I still have not crumbled. Told you so!

The voice I hear today, coming from my mirror says, “You are stronger than you believe, you are not finished yet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment