Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Surviving abuse

On this Christmas morning it's hard not to feel alone when most of my biological family ignores me. The gifts I mailed to my youngest grandson and three great grandchildren have not even been acknowledged. It is like I don't even exist. It reminds me of the M & M commercial when Santa faints after saying, "I do exist!"

I know I shouldn't complain when I look around and see that there are many people who not only don't have families who care, but have no homes, clothes or food.  Some of them do not even know who their biological family is because they were abandoned as babies.

I just finished reading a book by Karen Emilson titled, Where Children Run. It is a true story about children who survived unbelievable abuse at the hands of their step father and mother. It caused me to see that even though my family treats me like I don't exist, I am lucky to have friends, a warm house, clothes and food to eat.  

So far I have survived a negative parent, a womanizing husband, an alcoholic husband, cancer and two ungrateful children. It doesn't seem like there is much more the universe can throw at me. So on this Christmas morning I think I will just be grateful for what I have.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes family is an inside job. Those we love and care about that care about us too... blood family, friendship families, and soul families all exist.
    Thank you Barbara for being a part of mine. ♡

    ReplyDelete