Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Life's teachers

I believe that we are all teachers and we are all students. Every little thing that happen to us, as humans, teaches us in some way, from the minute we take our first breath to our last. One of my favorite books is Mitch Albom's, The five People You Meet in Heaven. Reading it caused me to look at my life and try to pick them out. Of course, each year I live causes those people to change positions.

Growing up at a time when most people I knew didn't expect much from life, no doubt set the tone for my future. I have never been impressed by those with money or the things their money buys them. I have always been satisfied just to be comfortable with what I have. Ending each year knowing that I do not owe anyone anything makes me very happy.

There have been people in my current life that have been my greatest teachers. The first being my maternal grandmother. She taught me values that one just can't learn in school. She also believed in me when I had not yet learned to believe in myself. My oldest son, who due to unusual circumstances, is now living with me, ha taught me how to let go of control and let others live their own lives. My youngest grandson is my current teacher. It has been my pleasure, and I believe my job, to find his strengths and encourage them. It is something I did not know how to do with my children. He is currently teaching me that it is time to allow him to grow up and live his life, unassisted.

I believe the most important lesson life has taught me this time around, is to stand up for myself and not let anyone walk all over me. The words to the song, "These Boots are Made for Walking", (and one of these day these boots are going to walk all over you), just popped into my mind from another place.

The current portion of my life is probably my happiest. I have been given multiple opportunities to use my gift of words to inspire others, keeping in mind that we are all teachers in our own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment