Monday, March 28, 2011

Giving Up/Letting Go

There is a big difference between giving up and letting go. Throughout my life giving up has not been something I am known for. As I have said before it could be leftover genes from my Scottish grandfather. To me giving up means there is no longer reason to hope. I am done, finished. I have exhausted all means at my disposal to accomplish what I want to happen.

Letting go to me means allowing input from another entity/source. It means trusting that what I want to happen will happen if I just let go of control. This is something I am known to have a problem with.

Sometimes I become so fixated on one idea, person or way of doing something that I overlook everything and everyone else. I learned a few days ago the value of admitting that I had a problem and asking Source for help. By this simple act I let go of control and allowed a flow of new energy into my life.

I was on the verge of giving up my writing group for kids, admitting to myself and whoever was listening that I was not inspiring them. I know in my heart that my writing talent is a gift from God and that I am supposed to share it with others. I believe sharing what we have been given is how we help each other.

Sunday morning I opened a message from the 17 year old daughter of one of my facebook friends. She explained that she loves writing fan fiction. She shared a couple of suggestions for inspiring kids to write that she and her friends had enjoyed as students. Like Mighty Mouse, Steph, saved my day and inspired me to try a new approach to inspire my writing group.

My biggest problem was that I was approaching them as a published non-fiction writer. I had forgotten the group was supposed to have fun. If I was no longer having fun how could I expect them to? It also reminded me of Super Nanny telling parents to get down on their kid's level to talk to them and play with them.

Just a couple of real life suggestions led me to see the error of my ways and inspired me to come up with a better approach of teaching kids what I know. It would not have happened if I had not let go of control- just a little.

Thanks Steph AKA:Mighty Mouse/Source

No comments:

Post a Comment