Friday, March 11, 2011

A Crumbling World

The world is crumbling all around yet I'm just fine. Is that fair I ask myself?

Humans are being eliminated by the thousands all over the world as the result of natural disasters and senseless battles for power. The severe drop in economy, especially in the United States is shaking the ability of ordinary people to provide basic needs for their families. Previously calm places, including schools are attracting armed deranged beings who take out their anger on innocent people, just because they can.

This morning I am looking at the world around me and asking,"What the hell is going on here and how does it affect me?" Is it enough just to feel compassion for those in the mainstream of the crumbling world around me?

My little place on this planet is actually pretty secure. Sure the price of going to the grocery store and putting gas in my car is outrageous, but in comparison to the rest of the world it is no big deal. Our weather here is very well balanced and we are not in danger of any natural disaster.

I could feel guilty that my life choices have put me right where I am, but I could also be grateful that I am safe, well, healthy and pretty happy with my lot. I can and do feel compassion for others, but I am only responsible for me.

When I wonder if I am where I am supposed to be I think of this wonderful Buddhist quote given to me by my friend Cindy, "LOOK AT YOUR FEET", that is exactly where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment