Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Break

This has been an interesting week. Every morning starts with my grandson opening my front door around 7:15 am, announcing his arrival with, "Hi grandma!" Then we go to Futures so I can exercise and we just hang out for the rest of the morning. After lunch we head back to Futures for the Spring Break activities. He plays and I volunteer to help out.

I have learned some useful information this week. First I discovered that dominoes is really a game and not just lining the pieces up to fall on each other. It is actually fun and doesn't require electricity. I ended up buying a game for Colin to take home to teach his mother how to play. I also learned how to make individual pizza's from a can of biscuit dough. All you need is a rolling pin, sauce and toppings of your choice. They are very tasty without the fuss of making the dough.

I also learned that you don't need a beach to play beach volleyball, ice to play hockey and you can have a ping pong tournament using tennis balls.

A very important lesson I learned for my own future use is: do not mix 1st and 2nd graders with teenagers, put them in a room and expect to keep them all interested in writing projects for 1 1/2 hours. I am happy to report we all survived yesterday and moved on to the next planned activity.

I believe the most important thing I am learning this week is I no longer want to work- period. I love being retired and not having to do anything I don't want to do fits me just fine. A couple of days ago I was given an opportunity for a possible part time job and actually came close to accepting. After weighing the pros and cons I decided that although a little extra money would be nice, money isn't everything. At this time in my life freedom is worth more.

This Spring Break has been very educational in ways I could never have taken a class for.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara,

    What a wonderful week you are having with your grandson Colin!

    Who want to work when you can enjoy the beauty of Colin's presence, have your freedom to do whatever you want and whenever you want and just be!

    Money is definitely not worth its weight in gold!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete