Monday, March 7, 2011

What Is This?

Today has been a pretty strange day so far. I was going to say crappy, but I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere I just haven't spotted it yet.

After I returned from my morning exercise I decided to call the Social Security Office, which was not a good way to begin a day. I detest trying to carry on a conversation with an electronic being. This one didn't like the fact that I said I was born in the state of Alaska and decided to skip the question/answer. The being also didn't care for my answer for what was my mother's maiden name.

The reason for my call was that I noticed they had deposited money in my checking account last Friday and I still do not know the reason. The amount does not match my usual monthly benefit nor is it the correct day for the benefit to be deposited. I know there is a saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", but when dealing with a government agency, I disregard that advice. Before I spend the "gift" I want to be assured it is really mine and was not someone's error that I will have to return later.

After spending twenty minutes or so on the phone with this less than intelligent being, I agreed to leave my name and a "real" person would call me back. The waiting time was supposed to be 10 minutes. That was about 4 1/2 hours ago. I have call waiting so I know they have not yet called back. I thought today's mail might bring a statement of explanation- nope!

My second challenge today is that my ex-husband, to whom I was married to for 27 years, underwent heart surgery this morning at 7:30 AM. I am sure the surgery lasted several hours and I am aware that he was to remain in the recovery room for 6 to 7 hours after it was over. I called the hospital about noon to see if the surgery was over and a voice at the nurse's station informed me he wasn't in his room. No Kidding! She could not answer my question. Never mind I said, making a supreme effort to be nice, I'll call back later!

My charming daughter, who decided 6 months ago that she was delivered by the stork and I was no longer her mother, is at the Albuquerque hospital and if she were not the person she has turned out to be, would have by now, called me with some information.

I wonder why when a couple decides to divorce family members who had nothing to do with the decision can't refrain from telling the parties how they should now act toward each other. Just because I no longer wish to live in the same house does not mean that I do not care if my ex survives major surgery.

It is now 3:25 PM and I am still wondering aloud WHAT IS THIS?

2 comments:

  1. Words fail me.

    (Yes, I'm back, reading your blog. Please forgive my absence.)

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you James and thanks for the hugs from my adopted Irish son!

    I still don't have answers except my ex has been moved to ICU and apparently survived his surgery.

    ReplyDelete