Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's New?

My life seems to be getting around to getting new lately. I suppose that's good, but it requires a new attitude. I can do anything I set my mind to.

For instance I have qwest and they are in the process of changing email use. I had the option of waiting until June to let them make the change or switching myself. Not being particularly computer literate I was afraid to try it myself. This morning I decided to just do it. The instructions were not that hard to follow, but it completely changed what I am used to viewing when I access my email account.

It probably is a good idea that I made the change now. It will give me plenty of time to adjust before the mandatory June deadline. I am actually proud of myself that I successfully made the transition without help. Many people my age can't even turn on a computer, let alone learn how to use it and intelligently write a blog. Yea for me!!

During Spring Break 2008, as part of the Foster Grandparent Program I was assigned to Future Foundations, our family center, to keep an eye on the kids. That is pretty much all I did. I walked around or sat in a chair and was bored to tears for an entire week. I resigned from the program as soon as school was out that year. Although I learned a lot in my short stint it wasn't for me.

This Spring Break is going to be different. I am now a volunteer at "Futures" because I have been offering a Creative Writing Group since January. This activity was included as part of what is being offered to keep the kids busy. I will be instructing 20-24 students instead of my usual 5-8. I am looking forward to the challenge and perhaps I can inspire a few new students to join our regular writing group. I am also going to be around all week to help out with the other activities that have been planned.

For some reason new has always been a better fit for me than old. Who wants to be old? That's for old people, which I no doubt will never be!

2 comments:

  1. It is a huge YAY for Barbara!

    I admire your wit, intelligence and individuality Barbara!

    Your spirit can never be kept in a box!

    You are a free spirit through and through!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete