Friday, May 1, 2020

New thought

Something came through on Facebook that really got my attention. It was in part: "You are in the middle of the greatest shift that humanity has ever witnessed." And I am!

It made me ask why me?

For some time I have thought it a little odd that I have outlived most of my family, including first cousins, a brother, parents and even two ex-husbands. I am still here in reasonably good health. I also wonder if it was an accident that I became a writer. Maybe not. Maybe that is exactly what I was supposed to do. A new friend who is a Buddhist said the best way to live is to be an observer. He may be right, but someone has to keep records, if for no one else, his/her family members.

I also think it is extremely odd that I was the one who ended up with the family bible, belonging to my maternal great grandmother. Again, why me?

I wish someone would tell me what I am supposed to do now.

Hiding from the virus reminds me of the story of Anne Frank, recorded in her diary. She and her family hid in a small space for two years to avoid Nazi persecution. Much like today, their situation was a matter of life and death.

Until further notice I will just go on writing down what is happening in my environment and trying to follow the rules for social distancing etc. Perhaps someday someone will benefit from my efforts to record my history.

No comments:

Post a Comment