Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Are you authentic?

The word authentic has popped up in my mind more than once lately so I decided it needed to be explored. If I were to pick a one word definition it would probably be real. According to the dictionary it means: genuine, real, true and credible.

Recently I had reason to read one of the 54 true life stories I wrote for my amazon E-book, Spirits of Cibola County. The very first sentence of the last paragraph of the story I wrote about Johnny C. was, "If I were to describe Johnny C. in one word it would be authentic. What you see is what you get." I hadn't seen this man in several years and the other day I had an unexpected conversation with him at our local grocery store. He has not changed. He is still authentic.

The word popped up again in my writing group, "Write On". The prompt this week is, describe a friend. I believe it is the best word to describe any friend, at least one that I would want to have!

I have had friends who have tried to run my life for me. I have had friends who have tried to play mind games with me. I have had friends who have left when I needed support the most. The best friends I have had are authentic. They may not always agree with me, but they are always there when I need them.

What I see is what I get, every time. They are my idea of authentic friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment