Saturday, April 20, 2019

Easter memories

The very first memory that I have of Easter took place when I was a child, living in Olympia, Washington.I remember participating in an Easter egg hunt that took place on the capitol grounds. I also remember a time when my mother attached a cotton ball to the front door, making my brother and me think it was part of the bunny tail. Of course, I remember coloring the eggs in the kitchen.

I think the most important Easter memory I have is the phone call from my mother, informing me that my father had died. It wasn't a surprise as he had been ill for some time. I have always found it odd that his death happened on Easter Sunday.

I remember when my daughter was little coloring eggs to take to the church for their egg hunting. Of course the years I was a practicing Catholic come to mind too.

A more recent memory I have that includes my youngest grandson occurred when I was helping out his class as a room mother. The class was sent outside while we hid eggs inside the classroom. When the kids came back in they were supposed to find the eggs. My little grandson only got the one that was on his chair. He put his head down on his desk and cried. His friends felt so bad for him they each gave him one of their eggs.

The last Easter memory I have happened in 2009. It was the last time I was invited to my daughter's house for a family celebration. Since then Easter and every other family holiday has pretty much been spent without family.



No comments:

Post a Comment