Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Your words matter

This morning a poem crossed my Facebook news feed that I was very familiar with. I remember exactly where I was when I read it for the first time. I was sitting alone in the my high school library. I was looking through a book of poems. One caught my eye and has been in my mind for 63 years. It was written by the American poet, Edwin Markham 1852-1940.

Outwitted
He drew a circle that shut me out, heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
But love and I had the will to win,
We drew a circle that took him in.

Wondering if any other words he wrote rang a bell I googled his name to check that out. I was happy to find a couple of quotes that did.

There is a destiny that makes us bothers, no man goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.  

And another that I found is:

We have committed the Golden Rule to memory; let us now commit it to life.

And then I thought, the man died 79 years ago, isn't it wonderful that the words he wrote still matter!


No comments:

Post a Comment