Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to Grow a $6.00 Chicken

Now that I have your attention I confess the chicken is no longer living, but be assured it gave up its life for a good cause. This post is about stretching a roasted chicken I purchased for $6.00. Gotcha!

First, I removed the arms and legs and ate the arms for lunch and a leg for dinner yesterday. Today I cut off most of the remaining meat and tossed the carcass into a pot of water along with some chopped celery and onion. I let it simmer until I had a nice broth and easily picked off the clinging pieces of meat from the carcass.

Next I combined the pieces with others I had chopped up from the rest of the bird. I tossed them back into the pot of water (now broth) with a couple of cans of low sodium chicken broth and a few of my favorite seasonings such as, parsley flakes, thyme, salt & pepper and celery flakes.

After bringing it all to a boil I added a package of frozen vegetables and a cup of Ditalini (tiny tube pasta).I let it simmer for 10 minutes. Soup anyone? As I have previously mentioned on another post, it is one of my very favorite things to create in my kitchen.

To recap in case you lost track of my little chicken, I had two meals yesterday, made a large pot of soup and have enough white meat left for at least three more meals.

That's how you grow a $6.00 chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment