Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Absence- the Silent Teacher

The anonymous quote "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is a great conversation starter. In my experience, it often gives me time to look at the whole picture and see what the experience is silently teaching me.

It also gives me time to answer some pertinent questions. For one, Is this relationship/person hurting me? Would I be better off without it? Am I depending on this relationship/person to feel loved? Is this relationship/person causing me to be less than the Universe knows that I am?

If the truthful answer to any of these questions is yes, I am learning that my next move should always be DROP IT and find someone/something better! There are billions of souls out there and many of them are waiting for me to fully wake up so that we can connect in a healthy relationship.

Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones; as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire.~Francois de la Rouchfoucauld

If I go away
What would still remain of me?
The ghost within your eyes?
The whisper in your sighs?
You see...Believe
And I'm always there.
~Jon Oliva

Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want to be with someone you love aren't you already there?~Richard Bach

Laughter is the closest distance between two people.~Victor Borge

I'm not sure exactly why, but the words to Leonard Bernstein's beautiful song "Somewhere" just seem to fit as an end to this post.

There's a place for us
Somewhere a place for us
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us
Somewhere

There's a time for us
Some day a time for us
Time together and time to spare
Time to look, time to care
Someday
Somewhere

We'll find a new way of living
We'll find there's a way of forgiving
Somewhere

There's a place for us
A time and a place for us
Hold my hand and we're halfway there
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow
Someday
Somewhere

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,

    What a beautiful post!

    "Somewhere" is one of my favorite songs.

    I would blast this song in my car, in my house, for many years with the intent and feeling of meeting someone who would love me for me.....nothing else attached.....just love.
    I love how Barbara Streisand version of the song. She belts out the emotion of it!!
    The song brings out powerful feelings of the heart of the soul.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! I love the line "hold my hand and we're halfway there". Imagining it creates goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete