Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Craft Show


This has been an interesting weekend providing both negative and positive experiences/lessons for me. In Grants, NM the first weekend of December has for many years been the Christmas Craft Show. I participated with my wares from the time my daughter, now 31, was a baby until a couple of years ago. Last year I did join Christina with my photographs, poems etc. just to help her get started on her own journey.

This year she has her own space and is offering some very creative craft items, made mostly from paper. I am happy to see that she has inherited her family's tradition of creating. My mother was a very talented seamstress and her mother created beautiful needle designs with yarn and canvas. Also, my father's mother could make anything into a craft item and her brother designed beautiful etchings on ivory.

Yesterday it was nice just being able to walk around and view the talents of our local residents. I had a chance to visit with people I have known for years and have not seen recently. I even reconnected with a very good friend who just three days ago retired. Hopefully now she can have more time for just hanging out and catching up.

The memories of all the hours spent over the years preparing for and participating in this craft show made me feel a little sad. It is just another phase of my life that is in my past, but now needs to be replaced with something new.

Things change and if we don't change with them we find ourselves left feeling that nobody cares. Christmas this year is going to be a little sad at my house because it looks like all of my friends and family have plans that do not include me. I am not looking for sympathy it is just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment