Wednesday, August 11, 2010

School Days School Days

Today was the last day of summer vacation for Cibola County kids. My grandson is a bit unusual; he is thrilled to be starting third grade tomorrow. Of course, he enjoys vacations, but he truly loves school too.

Colin was in my care today. After breakfast and a little cartoon time on the tube, we set out to get him a last minute haircut. His mother looked at him last night, called me and said if you can't get him an appointment I'm going to shave his hair off. I made a quick phone call first thing this morning to the right person and saved his hair!

Next stop was his school to check his class assignment and locate his new room. He was happy to see that he knows several students who will be in his room and plays soccer with a couple of them. Everything looks good so far. His mom will be taking him to school in the morning to help him carry the large number of school supplies requested this year. She said she nearly fainted when the Wal-Mart bill came to $100. Teachers are not being given much money for supplies so it falls on the parents to provide them.

Moving on, for lunch we stopped at Subway and took our haul including, double chocolate chip cookies for Colin and a macadamia cookie for me, to the Riverwalk. We sat at a table by the water with the geese and ducks swimming back and forth. Colin couldn't resist sharing bits of bread with them. He discovered ducks don't like pickles!

So this was Colin's last day before he changes into a big third grade student. Recently he told me he wants to be a cop so he can shoot a gun. I said, "Oh I thought you would be the president." He replied, "I can do that too." As I have said before, nothing stops this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment