Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Andrew!


Meet my oldest grandson Andrew, who is celebrating his 22nd birthday today. He began his life in Guam because his father was in the Navy at the time. His twin sisters were 21 months old when he was born. His little feet touched foreign soil when he was just a toddler and his father was stationed at a base in Scotland.

Andrew began school in New Mexico and when he was on the verge of becoming a teenager his family moved to Georgia, where he has lived ever since. Since high school graduation he has been working for a restaurant where I understand he has gained the respect of his employer.

This last Christmas he spent a few days in New Mexico visiting family. One day I received a phone call inviting me to have lunch with him. It happened to be my younger grandson, Colin’s school vacation, so he joined us.

As I observed my two grandsons sitting next to each other, one tall and dark haired, one short and blond, I could not help but feel a little sad that I had not been in Andrew’s life when he was growing up. I fondly remembered an experience from years earlier of taking in his perfect little face while giving him a bottle. Shortly after that his parents moved away and were later divorced, making the separation even greater.

After leaving the restaurant Andrew gave me a warm hug and then turning to Colin, shook his hand saying, “Goodbye little man.”

Andrew is about to embark on a new journey. He has joined the Navy and will soon begin his own basic training. Wherever this path takes him I know he will do a great job because he is a fine example of today’s youth and I am proud of him.

Happy Birthday Andrew I wish you a pleasant journey through the rest of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment