Saturday, March 2, 2019

Happiness is


 I'm beginning this post with a message I found this morning from Maya Angelou.
My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive, and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor and some style.

What makes me happier than anything is writing and getting what is inside outside, and so I will.
Life changes and it is odd how a few months ago the things that I thought were making me unhappy are the very things that today are making me happy. Perhaps that’s called growth, a different perception or just plain waking up to reality.

Through divorce I have been on my own since 1999. I have done the best that I could to keep my house and property in good shape because I can’t afford to move. Besides, I like the neighborhood and the view of the mesa from my window makes me happy. It is like I have a personal little mountain right in front of my eyes.

In June 2014 my life changed. Due to no fault of his own my oldest son needed a place to live. I offered him that place. After he got a job he began paying rent. The extra money makes me happy and has allowed me to take care of some upgrades on my house. Replacing old carpets, a new leach line and a new roof have all been accomplished because of that extra money. The helping hands around the house and yard have also helped to make me happy.

Another benefit that makes me happy is the fact that my son shares my talent of cooking and trying out new recipes. He is also computer knowledgeable, which is a big help to any writer, especially one of my age! 

I admit there have been times in the last five years when I have wondered if I made a mistake in offering my son a place to live. Even though my house is big enough to allow both of us plenty of personal space. Today I believe it was a necessary step for me to learn to let go of control and allow another person just to be.

I am grateful that I listened to my intuition and allowed the universe to lead me to a happier place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment