Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Mona Lisa

I just watched a wonderful Netflix movie, Mona Lisa Smiles, starring Julia Roberts. I knew I was supposed to watch it, but I wasn't sure why. The movie took place in 1953, three years before I graduated from high school. It was about a female teacher who came to a college to change the lives of her female students. I believe her message was, women can do anything they want to and marriage is not necessarily the path they should take.

When I graduated from high school the wonderful message I received from my mother was, females do not need to go to college unless they want a career. I would not have listened to her if I had been given a wonderful teacher who believed in me. Perhaps I would not have felt that the only role for me was to be a wife and mother.

If I had not listened to my mother I might have become a writer years earlier. Today I know that is what I am meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment