Saturday, March 9, 2019

Lessons are everywhere

I was just watching the Netflix movie "Confirmation". I am not sure what it's about yet, but the opening scene brought back a memory from my past life. A young boy was in the confessional having a difficult time thinking of anything he had done in the last two weeks that would be considered a sin. The priest was getting very frustrated with the boy. It caused me to laugh when I remembered my first time in the same situation.

I had become Catholic as an adult because I thought it was expected of me. I had recently married a man who was a born Catholic but was not an active member of the church. I decided it was my job to fix that. It took me over twenty years to understand the fact that his problems were not mine. It also took me that long to realize that I did not belong in a Catholic congregation. I left both behind and I have really never been sorry.

The second thing that happened was something a member wrote as a post on my writing site, "Write On". The current prompt is: What's behind the door? When I wrote my post on the subject it was written from the position of being on the outside of the doors I wrote about. When this man wrote his post it reminded me a door opens both ways. There is a lesson there, I just need to think about it awhile longer.

Perhaps the lesson is that I no longer need to think of myself as being on the outside of any door, waiting for admittance. Maybe I have earned my wings and have not noticed because they are weightless.


No comments:

Post a Comment