Friday, June 10, 2011

Request Granted

Some of you may remember that last March Social Security placed a rather significant amount of money in my checking account with no explanation. I made a list of what I could do with it. It took two weeks before S.S. sent a letter stating they had made a mistake in my benefits and the extra money was the result.

Listening to advice from friends caused me to make sure I didn't spend it until I was absolutely sure it was really mine. I am so glad I listened because in April I got another letter. This one stated I had been overpaid back in 2008 and was expected to repay $1,869 in 30 days. This was $169 more than they had mysteriously put in my account the previous month. I immediately sent them a request for re-consideration.

In May I was so frustrated with this situation that I called our local S.S. office and actually talked to a real person. I told the woman I was quite willing to send back the $1,700 that some inefficient employee had caused to be deposited to my account, but I was protesting the additional $169 they claimed I owed them due to another inefficient employee's mistake way back in 2008.

I was advised not to send anything back. Ms.Jacklyn came to the conclusion that, in her opinion, I owed nothing. She further stated they can't take anything out of your benefits as long as you are challenging their decision. I decided, just to be safe I would put the money in a savings account so it wasn't accessible to me to spend.

Weeks went by and I heard nothing. I had expected to be sent forms to fill out or at least receive a phone call- nothing. Having this money and not knowing if it was mine was causing me stress. I just wanted the ridiculous situation to end. You know the saying be careful what you ask for? Yesterday I finally got a letter from S.S. with no indication that they had reconsidered their decision. It informed me they will deduct money from my monthly benefits until the entire amount is repaid.

Needless to say it pissed me off, until I remembered my request to terminate this stupidity. I had to laugh at myself because I got exactly what I asked for. I still don't think I owe them the extra $169, but apparently one can't fight an office who hires employees who never make mistakes.

Just because I could, I sent a copy of this blog post to my local Social Security office realizing that it might be tossed in file #13, but then there is always a chance it could get attention. There is another popular saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!" I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment