Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Poor Little Car!

I bought my 2005 Hyundai Accent new at the beginning of 2006. It has been a great little car, never giving me any problems. Lately the universe has been treating it very badly.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving down a street in the center of town and a rock flipped up and caused a chip on the outside edge of the passenger side of the front window. At first I thought that wasn't too bad and I would just get it repaired. Before I could do that the little chip developed into a 12" long crack.

I checked with my insurance agent who said it would cost me $100 to replace the window, since I had buy back glass insurance. Without the insurance it would be about $700. My agent advised me to just ignore it until I had an extra $100. Not sure when she thought that would be, but I took her advice and waited.

About a week ago the crack had doubled in size, probably from the hotter weather and I decided this morning to make arrangements to have it replaced before it got any bigger. The glass company is supposed to bring a new window in the morning. I even decided to be extra nice to my little car and got the oil changed today.

Then we went to the grocery store. When I returned to my car I found several people telling me to check out my front bumper because they had witnessed a store employee intentionally ramming a basket into it. They were right. There were several deep gouges on the bumper and I noticed the hood was not sitting right.

To make a long story short after about an hour of talking to the cop who finally came to take my information and dealing with the store management, my car and I were free to leave the scene of the accident.

The cop suggested I put it through my insurance company and I said no way! The damage was done by a store employee while she was doing the work she was being paid to do. My car was not moving. It was sitting in a parking lot minding its own business. When confronted, the employee started yelling at me, insisting she was not responsible. I am, grateful that I have several witnesses to the fact that she is wrong. The incident is now in the hands of the store's insurance company.

Hopefully this is the last assault my poor little car will have to endure. It does not deserve to be mistreated.

No comments:

Post a Comment