Saturday, June 18, 2011

Never Too Late

I see tomorrow is Father's Day again. Since my father died in 1967,the day usually
slides by without much fuss. This year I thought I would notice the man who is at least half responsible for my human existence in this life time. It is never too late to say thank you!

My father was a rather quiet reflective man whose own father, Godfrey, was originally from Sweden. He was 45 at the time of my father's birth and his wife, Beatrix, was 28. Sidney had three older siblings, a brother and two sisters. Godfrey died at age 70, the year I was born. Beatrix died at age 73.

Sidney, my father was always overshadowed by my mother, which accounts for my huge misunderstanding on how to succeed at male/female relationships. My second marriage, which lasted 27 years, was a reflection of the experiences I grew up with. Knowing now that we all play previously agreed upon roles, gives these experiences a new look. It takes away any left over blame.

Thinking this morning about the positive things I got from my father caused me to smile. I inherited his fair skin, freckles and at an earlier age reddish blond hair; although his hair was definitely red. We both possessed a curious mind that was basically self taught, an interest in photography and a love for cooking.

So on this day I offer a thank you to my father, Sidney James Halverson and share this 1942 photo taken in the front yard of the only real house we ever lived in. The pesky kid is my only sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment