Sunday, May 29, 2011

Out With Calendars

My grandson made me laugh last Friday and it inspired this post. Last week was the end of the school year here. Technically, Wednesday was the last day of school. Most of the kids, including Colin, didn't go Thursday or Friday. As we were getting ready to have lunch Friday, Colin, popped up with, "I am so excited about Monday!" I asked what was happening on Monday. His response was, "It's the first day of summer vacation."

Apparently the two days he already had off didn't count because they weren't on the school calendar. It started me thinking about how many people live their lives according to the calendar. If they are working, Wednesday is hump day with only two more left in their week. Then on to the weekend and they start over. It seems like most people live from one holiday to another with hardly a breath in between.

What about the rest of the year? I think it would be great if we banned the calendar and just lived each day to the best of our ability. No gifts, no cards, no special foods- just appreciating one day after the other.

No day is more special than any other in my world, no matter what the calendar says. Each one is a gift filled with experiences of our own choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment