Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mixing the Old and New

Editing and re-writing the 60 life stories that appeared in my first two books is going much faster than I had expected. Re-visiting the stories has made me aware of what a great little town Grants, NM is and how fortunate I am to have made so many friends while writing the stories. It also made me realize this morning that when I finish editing and updating the old stories I need to begin interviewing and adding new ones.

At the moment I am not sure what number I am shooting for, but I have begun making a mental list of people I want to interview. They are local residents who by simply living their lives, have added to the history of the area. As with the original stories, all subjects will have the opportunity to approve my take on their life experiences.

It seems I have known since I started writing way back in 2000 that it is my mission to promote the spirits of Cibola county in my own unique way. Any writer knows the first rule is to write about what you know. I temporarily forgot what I was doing! I let other people and their problems distract me, often taking responsibility for things that were none of my business.

Enough of that! Everybody can take care of their own problems from now on because I am going to be very busy mixing the old with the new for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment