Monday, May 9, 2011

I Can Do It

This morning I feel somewhat like the little engine that could. It took me six days to edit and rewrite the 60 individual stories in my first two book. Now they are all in one place with all the unnecessary words removed, just as they were meant to be in the first place.

Last night I had two stories left to work on and planned to leave them for today. It didn't turn out that way. Determination from inside pushed me to finish what I had started, before the night was over. I knew I could not begin writing new stories until the old ones were put to bed. I slept very well last night!

You bet I was tired and my back and butt are still a little sore, but I did it. So far the project is 40,290 words. I did learn a couple of things from my experience. First of all, I forced myself to take frequent breaks to stretch and do simple tasks around the house. Several times during the week I went into town just to take my mind off my project, as some of the stories brought back unpleasant memories about the subject of the story and were hard to write.It always upsets me when I have written someone's story and I later discover they lied to me. Honesty is my #1 priority.

The original 60 people who had allowed me to put their lives on paper are amazing! They helped me create some wonderful life stories. I still cannot believe that many of them shared the most intimate details of their lives with me. They then trusted me to use my gift of words to share their experiences with the world. I believe the reason this happened is because I am an ordinary writer who desires to inspire others by sharing life experiences, mine and those belonging to others. Talking to a reporter is a whole different ball game and it does not describe me.

As a reward for my positive efforts and determination I ordered a new padded posture chair to use with my computer. Now that I am taking myself seriously as a writer I suspect I will be spending much more time using my God given gift then ever before. I might as well be comfortable.

This morning I began the familiar process of setting up the first interview for the next story which will appear in my current project, Spirits of Cibola County. coming out soon as an Amazon e-Book. Watch for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment