Sunday, January 29, 2017

A new map

The other day I saw a Facebook post with a drawing of what Trump's wall between the U.S. and Mexico would look like. Instead of going straight across from West to East it removed New Mexico from the United States. It certainly caused a variety of  reactions from me, since I live here.

The very first thing I asked myself was, Did Trump even go to school or is he just plain stupid? Even grade school students know we have been part of the United States since 1912. We do house many Native American and Spanish (some people call them Mexican) residents. Our state has been called a melting pot of nationalities. It has also been called God's country and God forsaken. Take your pick.

When my second husband, my sons and I arrived here in 1976 my grandmother thought we had moved to a foreign country. I was kind of wondering the same thing when we first lived in New Laguna, just a touch outside of the Laguna Indian Reservation. My first observation of Native Americans was that they were a lazy bunch of people. It did change to a more positive opinion as time went on. After three years and the birth of our daughter we moved 30 miles west to Grants, NM. BTW that child has some Laguna blood from her father.

I kept looking at the map that appeared on my FB newsfeed and wondered if it would be a good or bad thing to succeed from the U.S. More than one state is thinking of going in that direction. In my case it probably wouldn't be such a good idea because it would wipe out my income from Social Security, which I have earned over a lifetime.

Perhaps the most I can hope for is that the POTUS will wise up or be replaced before his map becomes real.

Funny how the mind works. That statement just reminded me of a poem titled "Outwitted" by Edwin Markham that I have treasured since I was in high school and I will end this post by sharing it.

He drew a circle that shut me out. 
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.





No comments:

Post a Comment