Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On writing

I thought it would be fun to see what writers had to say about writing.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
The reason one writes isn’t the fact that he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say.

Judy Collins
I don’t think you get to good writing unless you express yourself and your feelings. Deep songs don’t come from the surface; they com from the deep down. The poetry and songs that you are supposed to write, I believe are in your heart.

Gloria Steinem
Writing is the only thing that when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.

Charlotte Bronte
I am neither a man nor a woman, but an author.

Truman Capote
Writing has laws of perspective, of light and shade just as painting does or music. If you are born knowing them, fine, if not learn them. Then rearrange the rules to suit yourself.

Walter Cronkite
Objective journalism and an opinion column are about as alike as the Bible and Playboy magazine.

Will Rogers
In Hollywood the woods are full of people that learned to write, but evidently can’t read. If they could read their stuff they’d stop writing.

Jules Renard
Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted.

V.S. Naipaul
I have trusted to intuition. I did it at the beginning. I do it even now. I have no idea how things might turn out, where in my writing I might go next.

David Ben Gurion
Anyone who believes you can’t change history has never tried to write his memoirs.

2 comments:

  1. nice collection Barb. Thanks for sharing the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wayne the collection was mine the insight was not! ;)

    ReplyDelete