Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Homesick

My regular readers know that I have written several blog posts about my friend Ms. M. She has read what I have written and is getting a giant kick out of it. You see she is a resident in our local nursing home and the only way I could use her actual name is to go through their red tape, which is a pain in the you know what! Thus she is referred to as Ms. M. Where there's a will there's a way.

Yesterday I received a call from her asking me to stop by for a chat because she had something important she wanted to tell me. I was unprepared for the news she wanted to share.

In the last few months I have become her adopted family, as all of her biological family live in Texas. It has been fun and we have found that we have a lot in common, including a natural gift for writing. Mine was awakened in 2000 when I was given the opportunity to write a column for our local paper, by a person who saw something in me that I was not aware of at the time. I am happy to say that I am responsible for awakening Ms. M's gift of words which had lain dormant for years. She now can't wait to get those words out of her mind and share them in her creative stories.

On our visit yesterday and with tears in her eyes, she informed me that she would soon be moving to a nursing home near her family. Although she is very happy here and has made many friends, the truth of the matter is-  she is homesick.

As I looked at her I asked, "Do you really need to go into a nursing home?" I was thinking perhaps she could live with a relative.

Her answer was, "I love it! I have no responsibilities and I can do anything I choose to fill my days."

I believe she's got it, as Professor Henry Higgins once exclaimed.

All Ms. M needs now to complete her perfect life is to go home. Bon Voyage my fair lady, I am grateful to have been counted as your friend in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment