Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Beyond survivor

I woke up this morning with the thought that I am not a victim I am a survivor. In recent years I have often referred to myself as a survivor in the various pieces I have written. I am not sure that it ever really sunk in that I am no longer a victim. The shift in thought changes a lot. It creates a much stronger person. It was not until later in the day that I decided to Google victim vs. survivor. Apparently it was time for me to move beyond survivor.

First I found some great definitions that made sense of the whole matter. A victim is someone who was harmed by another or by an event. A survivor is someone who continues to live and succeed despite being a victim. The eye opener for me was a thriver is someone who can put bad experiences in the past and live in the present.

Assuming the role of survivor is a constant reminder that someone or something caused you harm and it continues to give that person power in your life.

Checking things out further led me to a wonderful website that compared all three groups. http://www.cbwhit.com/Victim-to-survivor.htm

It lists 24 items that allowed me to see just how far I have come. It made me really happy to be able to check off the majority of items on the thriver list. Apparently I have grown before my very eyes and no longer fit in the survivor column. I did not see that coming at all. One of the most meaningful comparisons was victim=hopeless, survivor=hopeful and thriver=faith in self and life.

I am grateful to have found something beyond survivor.


2 comments: